Monday, January 24, 2005

 

Men Only

What will happen to broader Islamic culture when it meets that most subtle of modern technological wonders: sex selection?

As I understand it, the Muslim fatwa issuers of the world have generally said that it is not OK for a govt to institute a policy of sex selection, but it is quite alright for individuals to do so. So correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure there are no major restrictions on the individual, or couple, here.

All the sexed-up demographic projections ignore this simple reality, but I fail to see how they can do so credibly. Extrapolations, especially those carried on for 100 years, are worth less than the paper they're carried on. The world is never so static, nor predictable.

p.s. For those who want to look up some sample stats to see where things stand today, beware: the ME stats are really tough to dig thru because of the large number of guest workers who are counted in different ways. That's why I haven't quoted any numbers. I tried to find some, but I didn't have enough confidence in what was out there.